[time-nuts] Finally acquired a 5370B

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jun 12 02:03:09 UTC 2008

Jim Palfreyman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well getting a second hand 5370B will be no big deal for those of you in the
> US, but in Australia getting one of these units is very expensive due to
> rare local availability and cost of postage from the US. I was recently
> quoted US$350 - more than the unit itself cost!
>
> However after patiently waiting two years I recently won an auction at a
> decent price and the postage was a very "reasonable" US$170.
>
> Now whilst waiting for it to arrive I've downloaded the full manual and read
> up as much as I can without having the ability to play with the unit yet.
>
> However, what I'm after is any hints, tricks or gotchas I need to watch out
> for. The unit looks like it will be in good order (ebay id 300229475698) but
> any guidance or advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim

Jim

It is usually worthwhile to check the frequency multiplier chain
alignment and the waveform at the 10MHz output.
Careful alignment of the frequency multiplier chain can reduce the noise
significantly.
Sometimes the solder joints at the silver mica capacitors can have high
resistance.

Alterations such as disabling the A8U1 10MHz present detector have also
been found to significantly reduce noise.
Since this detector just drives an LED no functionality is lost.

Bruce