[time-nuts] thunderbolt for ntpd or gpsd

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 22:43:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Tim Cwik <timenuts at stnhbr.com> wrote:
> I have changed line 66 to:
>  gpsd_set_speed(session, session->gpsdata.baudrate, 'N', 1);
>
> This results in:
> [goodness snipped]

> I hope this is progress, but I am not sure why gpsd closes the port and
> who sends signal 2.

it's a power saving feature for use on laptops. Close the tty to allow
the chip to idle unless there's an actual consumer of data attached.
If this bothers you (as it does for me), run with "-n", which causes
gpsd to camp on the device, even if no consumer process is asking for
gps data.

i assume you terminated gpsd with ^C? That's SIGINT or signal #2.

> Is anyone using the thunderbolt with gpsd or are we breaking new ground?

You're breaking new ground. There are a whole lot of gpsd developers
who have actual posession of thunderbolts.... not. Haven't seen the
original TSIP author around in a while and aside from a Copernicus
still in the anti-static packaging, I don't have anything that would
help update the driver. TSIP isn't a terribly complicated driver, but
I dislike changing the drivers without having actual hardware and a
regression test.

CK

CK