[time-nuts] thunderbolt for ntpd or gpsd

Wayne Knowles w.knowles at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jun 14 23:59:45 UTC 2008

Tim, Chris,

Over a month ago I experimented with getting GPSD and the Tunderbolt working
together.
I quickly added support for the missing TSIP packet types, and was able to get
xgps to display lat, long, time  and constellation status.   I did manage to
get NTP to work, have not invested the time into getting the 1PPS signal
working under FreeBSD yet.

I have attached my patches against the gpsd source repository.   Note that I
did not invest much time understanding the internals of gpsd beforehand so
some aspects may not be fully implemented.

--
Wayne ZL2BKC

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Christian Vogel <vogelchr at vogel.cx> wrote:
> gpsd: GPS Time 485697.250000 1483 14.000000
that's encouraging

> gpsd: Sat info: mode 1, satellites used 5:  18 9 28 15 26
As is this.

> gpsd: Unhandled TSIP superpacket type 0xab

"thar's yer problem"...  kinda.

yes, we don't handle 0xAB, but that's just timing information. I see
no indication that the receiver is outputting position reports. I
should have this sorted a few hours after my Thunderbolt arrives.
Guess I need to prod the receiver into telling me where it thinks it
is.