[time-nuts] 5370B arrived - any FAQ

wje wje at quackers.net
Thu Jun 19 11:53:02 UTC 2008

Congratulations! It's a wonderful instrument, isn't it?
I can answer a few of your questions.

Set/clear ref - after power-on or a reset, the ref value is (should be)
zero.
When set-ref is pressed, the current time interval average value is
stored. This remains set until a power-off/reset or you clear it. The
buttons don't light up.

Freq vs time interval - simplistic answer: when you're using
time-gating, you're looking at more samples than in averaged one-period
mode. For 10Mhz, a gate of 0.1 secs is 1 million periods. In period
mode, you're averaging a maximum of 100,000 periods. Accuracy is
proportional to the square root of the number of samples.

The 'specifications' section of the manual gives the formulas for
determining both resolution and accuracy (which are NOT the same) for
the various modes.

I would suggest you go through the detailed alignment procedures even
though the unit passes the operational checks. These units almost always
have drifted out of alignment in the analog front-end unless you were
lucky enough to get a freshly-calibrated one. You can usually
significantly improve channel-to-channel trigger consistency and lower
the jitter by doing so. It's a tedious process, and some of the pots are
virtually impossible to reach, as are some of the test points, but it's
worth the pain. The theoretical one-sample measurement accuracy is 20ps,
but a non-adjusted unit can add many tens of ps of jitter. HP states a
typical jitter of 35ps; with very careful tweaking, you can get better
than that; mine reports 21-23 ps averaged over 1000 samples. (I'm not
entirely sure I believe that, though)

Bill Ezell
They said 'Windows or better'
so I used Linux.