[time-nuts] Thunderbolt documentation errors

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 19 17:21:08 UTC 2008

As part of my program that talks to the Thunderbolt,  I have enabled and can parse just about every message Thunderolts can produce.  There appears to be a problem in the 3F.11 and 5F.11 packets (EEPROM Segment Status).  Sending a 3F.11 packet is supposed to return a 5F.11 packet that shows if any EEPROM areas are corrupted.  However,  the 3F.11 packet is rejected by the receiver.

The Thunderbolt-E documentation for the 3F.11 request packet is also in error.   The heading on the 3F.11 section says Request EEPROM Segment Status,  but the text says the packet is to request satellite tracking status.

By playing around with sending different 3F.11 packets,  it appears that the Thunderbolt 3F.11 packet is to be formatted like the Thunderbolt-E documentation with a PRN field.  I have not figured up what this packet  actually does yet or how to request the EEPROM Segment Status.  The 600 page TSIP Reference Manual does not even contain the word EEPROM.   Any ideas?

Also the Thunderbolt can return a type 13 Reject packet...  it echoes back any packets that it does not understand.