[time-nuts] Thunderbolt meets ntpd

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jun 23 06:30:35 UTC 2008

Does anybody have their Thunderbolt working directly with ntpd?

The documentation for ntpd says the Palisade driver has been updated to work
with the Thunderbolt.  It has a config option (mode 2) to use 8N1 and a few
other changes.  I haven't looked carefully at the code.

I'm pretty sure my Thunderbolt is working correctly.  On startup, the 10 MHz
reads high by by 1E-7.  If I put the antenna in a good-enough location and/or
get lucky on the satellite positions, and/or wait long enough, it locks on
and then the 10 MHz output alternates between 1.0000000000E+07 and
9.999999999E+06

But ntpd doesn't see any valid data or I don't have it setup right.  I expect
I can debug it, but why bother if somebody else has already done the work.

I don't have any Windows boxes to try Tboltmon.exe.

Does anybody have any Linux code to print the stuff it's sending?  If not,
I'll probably have something soon.

How many different versions of Thunderbolt firmware are there and/or is there
anything interesting about whatever is in the units we have?