[time-nuts] Home built cesium clocks???

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Jun 29 10:22:04 UTC 2008

In message <7.0.1.0.1.20080629120421.01ebecc8 at tapko.de>, Predrag Dukic writes:

>Bruce,
>
>I did my homework and collected everything from the internet I could
>get.  I have this one too.
>
>If I go optical way, I still need 9+GHz  electrical source, so I will
>first recreate electronics. Using off the shelf DDS chips, or using FPGA.

I would probably start out trying to get the thing to work, then
optimize later.  For instance, I would start with an off-eBay HP
synthesizer, rather than fight with GHz frequency PCB layout.

>No doubt, I will have a lot of fun with the project.

Ohh, absolutely.

Have you visited the Science Museum in London ?  They have the original
Cesium beam frequency standard, spending a couple of hours with that
would probably help you determine what/where the really hard bits are.

Also, consider paying PTB a visit, they can probably be persuaded give
your a tour of their designs.