[time-nuts] 100MHz VCTCXO...???

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Wed Mar 5 22:01:17 UTC 2008

Matt Ettus asked if anyone knew of a source for a
100MHz VCTCXO.  I am not sure what that term means, but
I happen to be looking for a source myself for a 110MHz VCXO
with 150 to 200ppm pullability,  I came across Mtron-PTI
who offer TCXO's, TCVCXO's, VCTCXO's and VCXO's.  Some of
their units come in tiny hermetically sealed metal containers
with a footprint about the size of a 14-pin DIP IC.

See:

http://www.mtronpti.com/products/index.php?category=TCXO%2FTCVCXO%2FVCTCXO

I have no idea how much Mtron PTI will want for a unit with
a crystal on your particular frequency (or mine on 110MHz,
either-- I need to call them and find out, I suppose...)

eBay has a source selling one of the Mtron PTI units
set up with a crystal up for 105MHz for under $15.
I bought a sample to see what it would take to swap out
the crystal.  I removed the metal case and managed to
swap out the crystal for one I had on 121MHz just to
see if it could be done.  Now I need to find a source for
ordering a crystal on the proper frequency and see if I can
get it to work with the unit.

Matt-- if you would like some photos of the unit now that I
have the case removed, I can send some. It's a cute little critter!

If anyone has other suggested sources for (relatively) inexpensive
VCXO's please let me know too!!

Mike Baker
WA4HFR
Micanopy, FL