[time-nuts] Mounting GPS Antenna on Steel Roof

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Mar 6 09:37:09 UTC 2008

> I will be doing (4) as soon as I've found the time to make up a TTL to
> RS232 board.

I suggest trying it without anything fancy.

All the GPS toys I've tried work fine without any conversion gear.

The normal TTL to RS-232 chips include an inverter.  That will break things
unless you add another inverter.  (or your gear expects an inverter)

The usual switching point for RS232 receiver chips is 1.4 volts.  That's the
switching point for TTL inputs, 2 diode drops above ground.  That works fine
for 3V CMOS drivers.