[time-nuts] Which HP Frequency Counter?

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sat Mar 8 17:11:57 UTC 2008

The HP 5334A or B with the C channel option has a sensitivity spec of -30dBm
(from memory) up to 1 GHz or so. The C channel has 15mV rms sensitivity at 1
GHz.

The C channel option is rare, but it only requires 3 parts (a diviser and
two dual-shottkys) and a connector (and a hole in the front panel) to add it
to a 5334B for instance. I have two 5334Bs (one is broken) and both have the
other parts required for the C channel except for these three. There is a
socket for the diviser, the shottkys have to be soldered in.

The C channel input is activated on pressing the '9' key.

Unfortunately, the MB506 diviser (Fujitsu) seems a little hard to find. If
anyone has a spare, let me know. A surface mount equivalent should not be
too hard to put in.

The HP 5316 has similar characteristics and also has a 1 GHz option, which
is also rare.

I also have an Advantest TR5823 counter which has the 1.3 GHz input with
20mV rms sensitivity at 1.3 GHz.

The HP models have reciprocal counting, so they work MUCH better for low
frequency signals.

Didier KO4BB