[time-nuts] PC Clock adjustments

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Mar 9 09:03:43 UTC 2008

David Ackrill wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if I use the wrong
> terminology, or show up my lack of knowledge in the subject of keeping
> time.  Please also excuse the length of this message, but I thought it
> would be best to explain, as much as I can, the set up here and the
> problems that I am hoping someone might be able to help me out with.
>
> Up until recently I just used programs like Dimension 4 to periodically
> check and, if necessary, adjust my PC Clock to bring it back in line
> with the publically available SNTP or NTP time servers.  This seemed to
> work OK for general Amateur Radio use, such as making sure that I was
> transmitting and receiving the WSJT modes at about the right time each
> minute or 30 seconds.  It was also good enough for logging programs as
> well, of course.
>
> However, a friend of mine developed an SSTV program which calibrated the
> soundcard output against the PC clock, and had a routine built in which
> would check the clock against one or other of the (S)NTP time servers
> and adjust the clock if it was out of step.
>
> I sould say, upfront, that neither of the following PCs is 'overclocked'
> and, to the best of my knowledge, have not had any modifications made to
> the motherboards.
>
> I have two PCs permanently connected to the internet (via two different
> ISPs, telephone lines, WiFi routers etc.) and the older one, which has
> an ABIT motherboard in it, I think, seems to keep time reasonably well.
>   It's not brilliant, but Tardis says that it has a daily drift of about
> 0.054 seconds per day and NTPmonitor shows that the maximum error,
> usually against time.apple.com, is something like +500 milliseconds
> every couple of hours.  Against the stratum 2 clock that John (N8UR)
> runs, it is much better and there are not the 'spikes' of +500
> milliseconds against his time server, nor are the 'spikes' seen in
> comparison with a couple of other publically available servers.  This PC
> has a 'hard life' being the one that I install any program that takes my
> fancy, is used for email and general internet surfing, is connected to
> an older WiFi unit and to the slower of the two ISP connections.
>
> The other PC has recently been reformatted, Windows XP reinstalled (I
> had tried to use it with an SDR radio, but gave up on that about a year
> ago and I had changed a few things in XP that I could not remember how
> to undo again) it has a newer ABIT motherboard, a KN8, has a faster
> processor than the older machine and is only used for programs connected
> with either running a radio using CAT control, or programs which run
> SSTV/WSJT modes through a soundcard.  I recently removed an M-Audio D44
> soundcard board, in case that was part of the problem, but there's been
> no difference, that I can see, with the time keeping problems on this
> newer PC.

> [...]
Dave

Are you sure that the newer PC isnt changing its cpu clock speed in
response to its perceived load?
Most modern PCs have this capability which may or may not be able to be
disabled via the bios.

Automatic adjustment of the clock rate to minimise power is incompatible
with accurate timekeeping.

Bruce