[time-nuts] Which HP Frequency Counter?

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Sun Mar 9 11:06:59 UTC 2008

Jean-Christophe,

I would like to second Dan's opinion. Despite of owning some HP counters
and a SR620 from Stanford Research i regulary use my good old RACAL DANA
counter. The model 1992 is a standard even at European based surplus
dealers. An even better buy than the 1992 is the not so often seen model
1996 for example at

http://www.rainer-foertig.de/Zaehler.htm

because it has an increased number of measurement facilities. The
trouble with the pushbutton switches is the same with this model. RACAL
DANA has used push buttons over a period where the color ingredients of
the switch body would gas out over the time and ruin the elasticity of
the plastic part closing the switch contact. This is very easy to
diagnose: If you press the button and it does not "come back" you have a
ruined pushbutton that must be exchanged.

I did already exchange the complete set of of buttons on my 1996 for two
times. You can imagine that I would not have done this if the device
itself were bad. The last switches that i built in are completely white
and do not have additional color ingredients. This seems to have sold
the problem!

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert