[time-nuts] Component level 1:2 splitter

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Tue Mar 11 06:49:30 UTC 2008

Randy,

a splitter for two GPS receivers is a bit different from a normal power
splitter in that both receivers should "see" 50 Ohms impedance @ RF but
abt. some hundred Ohms @ dc. That is because each receiver will try to
measure the (active) antenna's dc current to find out whether the
attached antenna is working or not. They will react to either a to low
or a too high dc impedance with an "short circuit" or an "open loop"
condition that may inhibit them from work.

If you supply your mail address I can send you a photograph of a diy
passive splitter for two GPS receivers that works pretty well despite
the fact that it looks not really like rf equipment. It is easy to make
from parts out of the junk box.

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert, DF6JB