[time-nuts] Racal-Dana 1992 switches

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Tue Mar 11 20:05:09 UTC 2008

d.seiter at comcast.net wrote:

>Are these switches the same as the ones in the 1996?  Mine works perfectly now, but if the switches are a ticking time bomb, I'm going to move it to a area with better temperature control, and start looking for a donor unit just in case.

They both used the same switches.  However, not all batches of these
seem to have suffered the problem.  If any on a unit go they may well
all die.  Also it is possible that they may have been replaced at some
time in the past, I knew a technician at the service dept here in
California who did a lot of them way back, when they were still
supported...  It is hard to be more specific...

 From examination of the dead ones I remember it was a rubber insert
that died.  They start to feel a bit less springy than usual, then die.

My 29 cent Jameco switches have worked for me for at least five years
now.  I don't think you would want to have paid racal's prices for them
anyway :^)

dr