[time-nuts] Rubidium Oscillators and Racal 1992

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Wed Mar 12 06:20:37 UTC 2008

Gentlemen,

I would like to place emphasis to the fact that the so called "lamp
voltage" is just the operating point of a regulation loop in which the
lamp's health is ONE of the involved parameters, exactly as Antonio's
experiments verify.

Within the lamp a plasma ignition is excited by means of an external
electromagnetic field. The field's frequency as well as the lamp's
temperature (which is in the near of 110 ?C) are important parameters
for the quality of the plasma ignition and for where the operation point
of the loop is.

When Antonio was "Adjusting the capacitive trimmer solid with the lamp
assembly (and) the lamp-V ranged from 1.5 to 6.5 V" he demonstrated the
dependance of the operation point from the exciting field's frequency.
Not sure whether the LPRO also has, but the FRK-Ls have trimmers for the
temperature setpoint of the lamp's temperature controller. Would he have
changed that he would have observed a similar dependance. And when "the
lamp-V oscillates within 10 milliVolt basicly according to ambient
temperature" this is simply the effect of the temperature controller's
inability to control the lamp's temperature perfectly despite of ambient
temperature changes.

So a better phrase would be that the lamps voltage is an indicator of
the lamp's health IF and ONLY IF everything else is sane. Don't blame
the lamp before you have checked the temperature and the exciting
field's frequency.

I am stressing this a bit because exchanging the lamp is not exactly
easy! While it is a snap to remove the lamp toghether with the lamp
holder (a small metallic part that makes the whole thing look like an
ordinary bulb) the lamp itself (which is ONLY the glas compartment) is
glued (?) to the lamp holder and in order to exchange the lamp I guess
you will need to destroy the current one and the glue in the new one.

Has anyone of you already performed that action or can give an clue
which adhesive is suited for that purpose???

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert, DF6JB