[time-nuts] GPS World Article on PRN-32

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 19:06:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

>  > I'll let the battery die (and hopefully lose the ephemera data) and
>  > restart and see what happens.
>
>  How often is the data in the satellites updated by the ground stations?

I'll have to dig for the reference, but ISTR 3x daily

>  How often do normal GPS units grab a new copy from the satellites?

A number of my receivers try to refresh the ephemeris every 2hrs, just
in case it might've changed. Tomtoms (among others) have some form of
"Extended Ephemeris" feature whereby they can load a precomputed
ephemeris for a week. Certain builds of SiRF, Global Locate/Broadcom
and possibly uBlox firmware can do this. Perhaps doing a software
update to fetch the lastest QuickFix data might help.

CK