[time-nuts] R&S SMA-100A problems

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Fri Mar 14 06:10:11 UTC 2008

Murray,

I have no experience myself with the R&S SMA-100A generator but I have a
good friend that is a R&S technical employee. I did not ask him
concerning the expected backup battery life but according to him
"re-awakening" the device after an exchange of the backup battery is
surprisingly easy: Before switching the device on connect a USB keyboard
to the generator's USB connector. Switch on and wait until the splash
screen appears and stays. Press any button on the keyboard and the
booting process should continue. Thats it!

According to my friend this behaviour is considered a "BIOS bug" by R&S
that can be repaired by a BIOS update. This update should should be
possible through any R&S service point. It may even be possible that you
can perform it yourself. SOME updates of R&S devices CAN be made by the
customer, OTHERS MUST be made by R&S. If you are interested in such an
update he is willing to find out whether this one IS an customer update.
The update involves connecting an external cd rom drive to the USB port
and putting in the "right" cd.

73's de Ulrich DF6JB