[time-nuts] Joining Antenna Cables (Again)

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Tue Mar 25 04:36:21 UTC 2008

Hi Folks

I know that we talked about extending antenna cables not that long ago,
but I don't think that we resolved *how* the cables should be joined
other than that the type of soldered splice I was proposing was not a
good thing.

I've decided to run the indoor sections on RG6, since that's what I've
got.  I also have a couple of splitters with power pass-through that are
rated up to 1.8GHz - these have F connectors on them.

As there don't appear to be any MCX to F or BNC or SMB to F or BNC
adapters available, I'm still puzzling how to hook this up.

All I can think of is to have either:

1) A metal box with a bulkhead SMB connector on one end and a bulkhead
BNC or F connnector on the other or:

2) A metal box containing a PCB with the two appropriate connectors at
either end of the PCB, a single trace linking the two centres and the
rest of the board being ground.

I know that I'm doing a mix'n'match of impedances, but comments from the
problems, even if it is a 'dirty hack'.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/