[time-nuts] Joining Antenna Cables (Again)

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Tue Mar 25 05:24:12 UTC 2008

Quoth Bruce Griffiths at 2008-03-25 15:36...
> F to BMC adapters are available both in BNC male to F female and F male
> to BNC female.

Looks like BNC connectors will be able to bridge the gaps, in
conjunction with those connectors.

If I chop the ends off the existing antenna leads, solder on BNC
connectors (don't know that I'll get crimped down to that tiny cable
size), put a BNC connector on the RG6, then just use a BNC to BNC
adapter.  That gets me my down-lead.  Then I can terminate the other end
with an F connector to go into the splitter.

I can then use a BNC bulkhead socket on the box containing the actual
GPS module.

That means that only the flylead that plugs into the module itself will
have an SMB or MCX (depending on module) connector.

Makes it all a lot easier to handle, even if RG6 isn't the most flexible
thing in the world.

Thanks for your input on this.

Cheers

Matthew Smith