[time-nuts] GPS and national standards in frequency

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Mar 26 00:08:30 UTC 2008

Marco A. Ferra wrote:
> Thanks Mike, I'll give it a close look.
>
> Sincere regards,
> Marco

You will do much better if you divide the frequencies to be calibrated
down to 1Hz and time stamp the 1Hz signal transitions and the leading
edge of the leading edge of the PPS output of a modern GPS timing
receiver. Record the timestamps along with the associated GPS receiver
sawtooth corrections. This is what NIST does in their remote frequency
measurement systems. The recorded data is analysed along with NISTs  own
measurements using a similar setup driven by one of their caesium
clocks. A time stamp resolution better than 1ns is necessary to avoid
significantly degrading the performance achievable with a modern timing
receiver.

Using an indirect method such as employing a GPSDO (particularly one
using a legacy timing receiver) just adds another layer of uncertainty
to the traceability chain.

Even better resolution is possible by making GPS carrier phase
measurements, however this requires that the GPS receiver local
oscillators etc, be locked to the frequency source being characterised.

Since neither NIST nor your local NMI control the GPS system
traceability using GPS requires that both you and your NMI make such
measurements.
If you are not too far away from your NMI then both you and your NMI
will experience essentially the same GPS timing fluctuations due to
common mode effects such as GPS SV transmission fluctuations and
ionospheric delays.

Bruce

Bruce