[time-nuts] TADD-1 six channel RF distribution amplifier

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Mar 28 04:13:22 UTC 2008

Steve wrote:
> I'm thinking about using the TAPR TADD-1 six channel RF distribution
> amplifier to distribute the 10MHz output of my Trimble Thunderbolt to a
> few pieces of test equipment.
>
> What does the TADD-1 do to the phase noise characteristics of its
> outputs as compared to the phase noise characteristics of  its input?
> Improve? Degrade? Little or no change?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve K8JQ

Like any distribution amplifier it always degrades the signal phase noise.
Whether the amount of degradation is significant or not depends on the
phase noise characteristics of your source.

If your signal source phase noise is 10dB greater than the intrinsic
phase noise of the distribution amplifier than the increase in the phase
noise at the distribution amplifier is relatively insignificant.

Thus you need to know the phase noise characteristics of your source and
of the distribution amplifier (when set to the gain you need).

The phase noise characteristics of the distribution amplifier vary with
its gain.

The phase noise of your source and a distribution amplifier vary with
the frequency offset at which they are measured.

What source are you intending to use?
Do you know its phase noise characteristics?

Bruce