[time-nuts] T-bolt elevation error...

Björn Gabrielsson bg at lysator.liu.se
Sun Mar 30 14:40:14 UTC 2008

Hi Michael,

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 08:50 -0400, Michael Baker wrote:
> Just for the sake of illustration, lets suppose that the
> antenna is on my roof 20 feet above the ground but that
> it took 150 feet of cable to get to the receiver.
>
> Presumably, with no other information, the determined
> altitude would be offset by the delay in the cable giving
> a 130 foot error?

Like Magnus just wrote. The xyz determined by the receiver are those of
the antenna. No matter how long a coax there is between the antenna and
receiver. However the coax delay adds to the GPS receiver clock error,
which is why timing receivers usually let you put in a constant to
cancel for this. But its up to you to measure your coax, the receiver
have no way of doing this.

--

   Björn