[time-nuts] sub cables

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Thu May 1 20:46:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, 1 May 2008 11:13:48 +0100, "Alan Melia" <alan.melia at btinternet.com>
wrote:

>At least with the optical cables it is only the powerfeed circuit that gets
>the surge not the amplifier front end as it was in the FDM systems.
>
>I always thought the terminal equipment was a slighly lower reliability
>requirement than the submerged parts but these days the loss of revenue even
>with an easily accessed terminal is very high.

Now I'm curious how power is tapped off at each repeater point.  I understand
the daisychain architecture but I'm wondering about the details, what
components can withstand the intial high voltage surge as the cable is
charging and how the voltage drop at each repeater is maintained relatively
constant, even if the repeater fails and quits consuming power.

Also, is it true that an optical cable will keep working with a single
repeater failure, that the laser light will pass through unamplified?  Seems
like I read that somewhere but I'm not sure.

John

--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com