[time-nuts] Optical time sync

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Fri May 2 06:01:37 UTC 2008

Well, the generators are synchronized to the line, and the blade to
generator
gearboxes may be the same for a common group of machines. Wind farms may
have a mixture of machines with different gearboxes for different
blades.

Groups of the same machine type will not be synchronized if they use
variable speed gearboxes to optimize efficiency.

The generators are coupled synchronous machines, almost always synched
to a
power grid - wind power is not as reliable as steam. But an isolated
wind
farm might exist. If it needed to generate a fixed frequency then one of
the generators would be synchronized to a standard. The other generators
would lock to the stabilized generator for stable power distribution.
The
stabilized generator has to be large enough to keep the others in sync.

Bill Hawkins