[time-nuts] Optical time sync

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri May 2 06:54:54 UTC 2008

> I assume that this would have to be locked to the grid frequency
> somehow  - can't see all that power being rectified then sent out
> through a  grid-locked inverter.

Why not?

Diesel-electric locomotives do electrical conversions because it's more
efficient than mechanical gears.

Some high voltage transmission lines are DC.  The conversion sites on each
end must be interesting.

This article
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_turbine_design#Generating_electricity
says:

Older style wind generators rotate at a constant speed, to match power line
frequency, which allowed the use of less costly induction generators. Newer
wind turbines often turn at whatever speed generates electricity most
efficiently. This can be solved using multiple technologies such as doubly
fed induction generators or full-effect converters where the variable
frequency current produced is converted to DC and then back to AC, matching
the line frequency and voltage. Although such alternatives require costly
equipment and cause power loss, the turbine can capture a significantly
larger fraction of the wind energy.