[time-nuts] Fast frequency counting question

Henk ten Pierick henk at deriesp.demon.nl
Sun May 4 20:08:49 UTC 2008

Hi,

My first choice would be the HP533130A. The HP533130A is a
interpolating counter with a scope-like display. It has the
resolution you need. The resolution is determined by the time/div
setting and the vertical scale. It divides the horizontal display
time in 250 or 450 time slots, depending on time or frequency
measurements. In a slot, the first sampled edge is timed, the rest
counted. edge timing is done as 5370 and 53131/2. Sampling can be set
manual or automatic. If you understand the working principle, it is a
fantastic instrument. If time/div is to long you are losing
bandwidth, if it is to short noise increases. Read the manual. The
reference is very clean. Also available is the HP53305 software via
gpib.

Henk