[time-nuts] Altitude Effect on Cesium Standard?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Wed May 7 23:36:56 UTC 2008

Hi Tom:

I've been making some measurements of the Datum 4065 vs. GPS where the 4065 is
setting all the parameters (i.e. I have zeroed the offset and it's doing it's
thing).  After some days the t/T plot looks like a straight line at about 4E13
with a couple of ns bobble.

The 4065 is at about 910 feet (280 meters) elevation.  Your web page:
http://www.leapsecond.com/great2005/  says about 1.1E-16 per meter so that's
3E-14 about an order of magnitude smaller than what I'm seeing.

The 4065C manual says the accuracy is 1E-12 or 5E-13 depending on if the tube
is rated for lifetime or high performance.  I assume this means without any
adjustments, i.e. power up and that's what you get.

Do you have a feel how well your Cesium standards set themselves?

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.prc68.com/P/Prod.html  Products I make and sell