[time-nuts] HP 5370B

marks twotoe.com marks at twotoe.com
Sun May 11 08:39:09 UTC 2008

Hi All,

This is my first 5370B so I knew nothing about its expected behaviour.

I bought it on eBay as the song goes and when it arrived I could see damage
to the top right corner of the front frame that the operator panel screws
into.

It looked like it had been dropped and dropped quite hard.

Although I could not detect any drift on the oscillator, I thought I'd try
some of the 10811's I have collected.

While I was about it I replaced the front frame.

Interestingly enough, when the oscillator was replaced, the frequency
stopped jittering around and sits quite happily at 11 digits resolution.

Now, although it seems deceptively simple, I can't decide whether to tune
the multiplier or not.

I'd hate to be fixing something that wasn't broken in the first place.

Here is an interesting page on leapsecond depicting a drifting HP 10811.
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/10811-slow/

Many thanks,
Mark