[time-nuts] Change to Earths rotation rate due to Chinese earthquake

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri May 16 08:08:22 UTC 2008

> Have any of your members seen any data regarding a change to the earths
> rotation rate due to the recent Chinese earthquake? I seem to recall that
> the Banda Aceh earthquake in December a few years ago had a measurable
> impact on the rotation rate.  Many regards to the many extremely
> knowledgeable members of this group, John B.

Right, the Banda Aceh event was 2.68 microseconds -- but
I think that was a calculated value, not a measured value.
The length of day varies quite a bit day to day (by hundreds
of microseconds or more), so a few microsecond effect is
lost in the noise.

Here are some links, in increasing technical order:

Bad Weather Makes for a Long Day
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=bad-weather-makes-day-long

NASA Details Earthquake Effects on the Earth
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2005-009

Magnitude 9.0 Sumatra-Andaman Islands Earthquake FAQ
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/eqinthenews/2004/usslav/faq.php

Did the 26 December 2004 Sumatra, Indonesia, Earthquake
Disrupt the Earth's Rotation as the Mass Media Have Said
http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2005/2005EO010003.shtml
http://www.agu.org/journals/eo/eo0501/2005EO010003.pdf

The rotational and gravitational signature of the
December 26, 2004 Sumatran earthquake
http://www.springerlink.com/content/b15n1plt360uvp42/
http://www.springerlink.com/content/b15n1plt360uvp42/fulltext.pdf

/tvb