[time-nuts] Strange reports of bocked messages to timenuts

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat May 17 21:27:14 UTC 2008

All --

Thanks for the information on the MX record issues.  The problem
resulted from a changed configuration a couple of years ago where we
didn't go quite far enough in making sure that everything works --
febo.com has been on the net since something like 1996 (the domain was
actually registered in late 1994, but at first I used -- believe it or
not -- uucp for the mail link), and over that time there were various
gyrations that happened to keep DNS happy as the world changed.

The last change was reversing things so that meow.febo.com was the CNAME
and febo.com was the A record.  We did that to address some other
issues, and obviously forgot to change the MX record appropriately.
I'll do that as soon as Hamvention is over...

But what's interesting is that the error has been in place for over two
years, and this is the first time it's ever caused any problems.  And
I'm really not sure what the security implication is of an MX pointing
to a CNAME.  I can see that it could result in lower reliability by
putting an extra link in the DNS chain, but that's not really a security
problem.

Anyway, this will be fixed as soon as I have a chance.

John
----