[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt EOL

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Mon May 19 08:42:16 UTC 2008

Hi Tom,

Not sure if Pb-free is the only change.

We received feedback from someone that is evaluating the Fury GPSDO to
replace the EOL Thunderbolt GPSDO in their application.

They looked at the T-Bolt, T-Bolt-E, Mini-T, and Fury (the single  oven,
AT-cut, low-cost version - the double-oven Fury option would have  performed
better). Here are some abbreviated comments:

With the announcement of the end of life for the Thunderbolt we have
evaluated the Thunderbolt E, the  Mini-T and now the Jackson Labs Technologies  Fury
as candidate replacements. Unfortunately none of them look to be suitable
although there  is an indication that the Fury is not  far off...  It appears that
when both  the Fury and the Thunderbolt E are at their best they are on a par
with the Thunderbolt...

They compared Phase Noise performance as well as stability.

If the Thunderbolt-E is really just a Pb free version, then it may be
unit-to-unit tolerance that is making the E perform worse than the original
reference unit. Or Trimble may have resorted to a lesser OCXO to save cost  and meet
RoHS requirements.

BTW, I wonder how the RoHS high-temp soldering requirements affect OCXO's,
since the soldering temp now has to be significantly higher (to the point where
 non RoHS connectors can actually melt for example). In my opinion this can
have  significant negative impact on the Crystal etc, besides all the long-term
 reliability issues with Tin Whiskers..

bye,
Said

In a message dated 5/18/2008 20:46:33 Pacific Daylight Time,
tvb at LeapSecond.com writes:

> It  seems the T-Bolt is being replaced with a newer version. I wonder
>  which ones we will be getting ??
>
>  http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-383748/TBolt%20EOL.pdf

We got late models from 2005+/-. It seems the newest ones
(E  suffix) are ROHS compliant. Other than the lead, I can't
see a difference;  does anyone know for  sure?

/tvb