[time-nuts] Rb Tube Life Estimate

Brian Kirby kirbybq at bellsouth.net
Fri May 23 00:27:27 UTC 2008

The monitor test points will not help you, except to let you know its
operating correctly.

I had an FRK-L that the lamp failed.  I ran fine for 12 years (and it
had more years on it, bought surplus).  It was working fine and one day,
I noticed it was not locked.  I kept monthly logs and the data did no
show any real changes.  When I opened the unit I could see the lamp was
firing and running - but the optical pumping/adsorptions transition
occurs in less than a single percentage point.  Most lamp failures occur
because the glass gets a internal burned coating.

Surplus lamps are not too expensive (usually under $50 or so)...and a
new one - back when Efratom was in business, they wanted $400.  I
believe Symmetricom wants about 3 times that amount....

I can recommend Corby Dawson, who is on this list, should you need repairs.

Brian Kirby KD4FM