[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Power Supply

Dave Brown tractorb at ihug.co.nz
Fri May 23 11:15:12 UTC 2008

Eric
The Tbolt requires a -12 volt line for the RS232 interface-it so
happens that somewhat less than -12 will work as most RS232 line
receivers have significant margin on the required negative voltage for
proper signal detection. (and the positive too-but that's another
story)  So using -6 or -7 volts will provide a workable RS232 output
from the Tbolt for pretty much any RS232 input it is connected to, but
its hardly standard.  Much better to provide a -12 supply and keep
everything standard. The -12 current requirement is minimal-just a
milliamp or two. See prior posts for the Tbolt power rail current
requirements.
DaveB, NZ