[time-nuts] OT: Anyone programmed HP 59306A relay actuator (orother old device)?

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sat May 24 15:03:01 UTC 2008

Daun Yeagley wrote:
> Hi David
>
> You'll need a scope to look at the lines.  If you try reading with a
> voltmeter, you'll only get the average value of the data that is being
> transmitted.
> There are a couple of "control" line as part of the bus.  The most important
> one for our purposes here is the "ATN" line.  When this line is asserted,
> Data on the 8 DATA lines is in what is known as the COMMAND mode. In this
> mode, the ASCII code you see make up the commands to do the "Unlisten",
> "Untalk", "Listen", and "Talk" commands and the associated addresses. You
> don't need to worry about that stuff. That's what the drivers are for. At
> the programming level, all you need to be concerned with is who's talking
> (the controller, i.e. the computer), and who's the listener (the 59306). As
> an aside, there can be only one talker, but many listeners.  Other
> (transparent) details include the handshake lines and some other dedicated
> support lines that may or may not be used in any particular scenario.
>
> So again, all you need to do is address the 59306 as a listener, and send
> the specific ASCII characters that comprise the command. With this
> instrument, since it is so very simple, doesn't even know what to do with
> end of line sequences. (CR/LF). It would simply ignore them. (I say this
> because most computers customarily send this unless specifically
> suppressed).

Although I'm not doing this under Linux, I found this page on the
ibwrt() command.

http://cabbat1.cnea.gov.ar/manuales/gpib/r2283.html

To quote from it " If |ud| is a device descriptor, then the library
automatically handles addressing the device as listener and the
interface board as talker, before sending the data bytes onto the bus."
That suggests to me that using the ibwrt command should address the
relays as listener, so the relay actuator should need no more than

dd=ibdev(0, gpib_address, 0, T3s, 1, 0);

which gets a device descriptor and

ibwrt(dd,"A1",2);

which writes "A1" to the device with device descriptor dd. I've just
checked the National Instruments manual and it says the same thing about
the ibwrt() command setting the device as a listener. Perhaps trying to
send the '"%" which the relay's manual says addresses the device as a
listener is not needed. Perhaps it was messing things up. I'm pretty
sure I have tried it with and without that, and it did not work in
either case, but I will try again later - I'm not at home now.

Dave