[time-nuts] OT: Anyone programmed HP 59306A relay actuator (or other old device)?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sat May 24 15:42:29 UTC 2008

Hi David:

The HP 59000 series boxes were some of the very first HP-IB instruments made.
They are what might be called glue boxes used to build systems.  As has been
pointed out there is not a micro controller and in addition there is no
IEEE-488 interface chip (this was before there was an IEEE specification).

In addition they are slow.  The handshake on the HP-IB slows the buss down to
the slowest instrument that's on the buss even if you are not talking to that
instrument.  This has two implications, first, it's good to put the slow
instruments on a different bus from instruments where you want speed and
second, when talking to a slow instrument add a time delay after you send it a
command before the program proceeds so that there's time for the instrument to
process the command.

The 59306 has two modes, local and remote.  You can press buttons on the front
panel in local mode and use it without a remote control.  When you want to use
remote control you must first send the remote command <$>.  The front panel
switches stay pressed and when the box is put into local mode those switch
positions well be restored.

The three letter line names are control lines on the HP-IB and modern interface
cards take care of most of those signals.  But, since there's no micro
controller you should not send any characters after the single command byte.
No <CR><LF>, no <EOI>.  You may need to explicitly set the termination sequence
so that these are avoided.

For more on the 59000 series boxes see:
http://www.prc68.com/I/HP59000.shtml
These are are handy when building HP-IB systems since they also allow manual
control.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.prc68.com/P/Prod.html  Products I make and sell