[time-nuts] Thoughts on IR thermometers?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed May 28 08:32:58 UTC 2008

> I found a cheap IR sensor (not a spot meter) useful to identify the
> one IC that's warmer than the others in a fully populated PWB.

I usually use my fingers for that sort of test.  :)

Warning.  Don't try it on really hot chips!  I have a small lump on my thumb
leftover from touching a chip that was trying to self-destruct.  (bus clash)

Does anybody know of a low cost camera that works in IR?  I expect somebody
probably makes a slightly modified version of one of the USB cameras for just
this sort of work.

I found this while poking around.  How to modify your webcam:
  http://www.hoagieshouse.com/IR/
Basically, take it apart, remove IR filter, add visible filter (old slide
film), put it back together.