[time-nuts] thoughts on IR thermometers??

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Wed May 28 13:15:39 UTC 2008

Hello Patrick,
you got already a lot of good comments.
I am using since years a IR temp measurement tool from Snap-on,
mod. RTEMP2PB, with a resolution of 0.1 deg. showing in deg. C
and F. The distance to spot size is 8:1,  a more narrow range would
be sometimes preferable but for most cases it is ok.
I do not want to miss this device anymore.
Of course, that device never measures the core temperature of
a body/ mass but just the radiation via its surface and they are not
not very good on the absolute values (precision).

At room temp the measurement value is conform within a few tenth
to the real values, but the device seem to not have a tempcoeff.
compensation. Outside in winter or at higher temperatures in summer
the reading starts to wander up to around 1 or 2 deg. C away.

I got with this device a sheet with a list of radiation coefficients for
the most practical masses like concrete, dry wood, metals etc.
but I do not apply it normally.

I use this radiation thermometer for fast and quick look on
black radiators of oscillators and other devices quite successful
and can easily watch even fast changes.
E.g my PRS10 with the standard radiator (a bit too small) does show
around 45 deg. C at 22 deg. C room temperature.
I am thinking to bring it down by a bigger cooler size and somewhen
finally stabilizing the coretemp by a regulated peltier element.

It is also wise watching power supplies and other big consumers ;-)
and looking for thermal leaks on cold winter days. E.g. I measured the
temperature gradient on my (32mm triple glass) windows and found some
weak points in the design of the already very thick frames.The
fixation of the glass may still to be improved.

When measuring I do always look to find the center point of radiation
by scanning and observing the max.(or min.) reading. The precise amount
is not that important I believe, but one can easily find the hot
elements and define the value reproducible.
I do countercheck always with the reading from a concrete inner wall
which is very stable due to a very good insulated house :-)

Unfortunately there is no interface to transfer the readings, but
there is a hold for the actual reading and the max. value during
the on time.

Do you know how one can know without looking if the sky is clear or
cloudy?
Day or night, a bright sky does show temperatures below -33 deg.C
(readout limit) and clouds do reflect the earth (re)radiation and
show then -3deg C to +3 deg C, depending the density of the clouds.

I never found a practical circuit or schematic for such a meter.
It would perhaps be interesting to build such a meter personally.

regards
Arnold Tibus