[time-nuts] Time-zones and World time..

Thomas A. Frank ka2cdk at cox.net
Sat Nov 1 23:58:21 UTC 2008

>> I would say it's very unlikely to happen.  People tend to prefer the
>> time in their area to match up with the day.  So, having the sun
>> come up
>> at 7pm wouldn't suit a lot of people.
>
> But people would get used to it after a while, maybe a generation, and
> whose to say that the sun should come up at 7am, it's really just an
> arbitrary concept.

In his book "100 Days" (about the 1982 war in the Falklands), Admiral
Woodward points out that the British forces kept their clocks set to
Greenwich Time, and shifted their days to match.

Which is to say that they still had breakfast right before dawn, but
the clock might have said 1000 hours, and dinner might have been
right after sunset (the Argentine Air Force being limited to daylight
operations), when the clock might have indicted 2200 hours.

So the numbers on the clock were indeed considered arbitrary; they
still sync'd life to the sun (for obvious reasons).

It was also helpful, in as much as the higher-ups back in the UK were
on Greenwich time, so Woodward could stay in sync with their comings
and goings.

Interesting book, by the way.

Tom Frank