[time-nuts] Jackson Labs Fury & Isotemp OCXO134-10

Matt Osborn kc0ukk at msosborn.com
Sun Nov 2 06:28:34 UTC 2008

I think that I've managed to keep a low profile here, trusting that I
would learn more if I refrained from random interjections of
ill-informed thoughts.  However, there comes a point in every man's
life...

A year or two ago, I took advantage of Said's offer and purchased one
of the Jackson Labs OEM external OCXO Fury units and am attempting to
put it to work. I've decided to use an Isotemp OCXO134-10 oscillator
and have several decisions which I would like to vet with those of you
that have been down this road before.

The Isotemp unit has an EFC range of 0 to 8 Volts; the Fury has an EFC
range of 0 to 5 volts.  Using my HP 53131A, I'm able to adjust the
Isotemp to 10 MHz +- 5 mHz with an EFC voltage of 4.64 volts. That is
within the adjustment range of the Fury, but I'm not sure of the
accuracy of the HP53131A.  Should I construct a resistive network ala
Brooks Shera to 'boost' the EFC range just in case or would I be
better off just using the Fury 'as is'?

Secondly, the Jackson Labs advises that since the Fury uses the
external oscillator as its clock, that the oscillator should be
powered up before the Fury itself.  I was hoping that I would be able
to use a single power switch to power both the oscillator and the Fury
simultaneously, but now I'm not so sure.

Finally, are there any of you that have used the Isotemp OXCO134-10
with the Fury?  Have any of you worked out the various SERVO settings
that the Fury makes available?  I'm interested in the  DAC gain, EFC
scale, EFC dampening and Phase compensation.

Any and all advice will be gratefully accepted.

-- kc0ukk at msosborn dot com