[time-nuts] Rb lamp lifetime...

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Sun Nov 2 08:14:29 UTC 2008

Hi Dick,

I guess I should have been more clear.  By “locking” I meant using the
1pps output of the Trimble and a
separate house standard connected to a separate controller board such as
Brooks Shera’s circuit.

The oscillator in the Trimble is ok, but it is not the same as a high
quality crystal oscillator with a larger
thermal mass and a double oven.  The Trimble specs for a 1 second
measurement period (i.e., using it as an
external reference for your counter) is only good to 1xE-9.  To get the
1.16xE-12 takes a 24 hour period as
noted in the spec sheet.

An hp 10544B is spec’d for short term stability at 1E-11 for 1 second
averaging.  It would be a better
flywheel (when GPS is screwing up) for a house reference source using
the GPS to keep the long term average in
check.

For the extreme, if you want to spend the money, use a Rubidium
oscillator.  The difference being what happens
during any period when the GPS is not in control.  Of course a Rubidium
would make a good short term portable
source without the GPS control.

If possible it is better to keep a reference standard unperturbed and
just keep track of the actual value.
>From that data you know the deviation and slope of any drift.  It is all a matter of keeping records.  In
primary labs that is what is done with primary standards as most are not
“adjustable,” they are not messed
with and only the measurement values are reported.  It is up to the
owner to know what to do with the
information.  Of course there are some items that are adjustable and may
very well be adjusted, would depend
upon the item and the customer needs.

In the case of a high quality Rubidium, it is stable enough to be
treated as a short term reference.  In such
a case it would only be compared to, not controlled by the GPS.  Careful
measurement, extremely careful
adjustment and good records would allow it being used as high quality
portable standard if it is kept hot the
whole time during its use.

Bill....WB6BNQ