[time-nuts] Jackson Labs Fury & Isotemp OCXO134-10

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Mon Nov 3 01:35:36 UTC 2008

Hello Matt,

let me try to answer some of your questions about the Fury with an
Isotemp-134.

First I tried finding a datasheet for it, but Isotemp removed it from their
website. All I could find was that it has about 5ppb -30 to +60C stability. So
 it's performance is between our JLT standard single oven and double oven
OCXO's. Not knowing the EFC sensitivity of the unit, I will give you some servo
settings to try out and play with.

On the power up issues, you can try to run both the OCXO and the Fury from
the same power supply. If the OCXO does not provide a stable 10MHz before the
Fury comes out of reset then it won't boot up. So if you try power  cycling
say 5 to 10 times and it always comes up (LED's turn on for several  seconds)
then you are good to go. If it is marginal, then you may have to delay  the Fury
power as some have suggested here. Or simply press the reset   button after
power on (I presume you won't power cycle the unit very often when  in
operation, so pressing reset after power on may work for you if the unit does  not
boot).

On the EFC range, this depends on the aging and thermal sensitivity of the
OCXO. 4.64V is still quite a ways below 5V, but it's getting to the edge of the
 Fury range. There is no reason that it should not work, even if you go up to
 4.8V or so due to aging etc.

If the unit ages downward (EFC voltage decreasing over time) then I would
not worry. I would only add external circuitry to increase the EFC range if
absolutely necessary, since any circuitry you will add will probably add  noise.

Now on the servo settings, try the following:

* Slope polarity: depends on the OCXO. If frequency goes up with increased
EFC voltage, then set it to "positive". You can try changing the coarsedac up
and down to see the slope of your OCXO (use the command serv:coarsedac  x
where x is 0 to 255. Higher values result in higher efc  voltage.

* For this type of thermal stability, I would try a servo:efcs setting of
about 2 to 4

* Try damping of 30. This value is not really that critical, any value will
work that does not cause oscillation. Higher values result in "slower"
sawtooth  filters and thus less noise

* Phaseco: try values of 15 to 25 and see how fast the unit pushes the  phase
offset to 0ns. If its too slow for you, increase this value, but not to  the
point where it oscillates.

* DAC gain: this depends on the OCXO EFC sensitivity. If it is a standard
-20Hz to +20Hz over 0V to 5V then a value of 15 seems to work well.

If your unit locks up without overshoot/oscillation within 30 minutes with
these settings then you are doing well, and can fine-tune the parameters from
there.

Hope this helps,
bye,
Said