[time-nuts] Jackson Labs Fury & Isotemp OCXO134-10

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Nov 4 01:14:26 UTC 2008

> BTW, it would appear as though my HP 53131A counter reads 220 mHz low
> with a 2 second gate time.  There appears to be no appreciable drift;
> it always reads 220 mHz low.  I'm sure there is a name for that
> measurement, I hope to learn it soon.

Congratulations.  You just measured the frequency of the crystal inside your
53131A.

Stand on your head and it will make sense.  If you feed an unknown signal in,
you can measure its frequency.  But that's only as accurate as the internal
clock.  If you know the frequency of the external signal more accurately than
the internal clock you end up measuring the internal clock.