[time-nuts] Time-zones and World time..

Peter Vince pvince at theiet.org
Tue Nov 4 13:38:30 UTC 2008

On Sat Nov  1 20:49 , Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> sent:

>> Don't forget too, that solar noon varies quite a bit (minutes) from
>> "mean solar time" over the year.  If you're navigating your ship with
>> noon sun sights, this is pretty important.
>
>What do I google for if I want that correction?

This is known as the Equation of Time.  If the position of the sun was plotted (or
same time every day, a figure-of-eight shaped path would be drawn, which is known
as the analemma.  Two websites which have excellent descriptions of the effect,
and hence why a sundial can often apparently be "wrong", are
http://www.analemma.com/ and http://www.sundials.co.uk/equation.htm

Peter