[time-nuts] Checking accuracy of Rubidium standards

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 8 21:43:49 UTC 2008

This is an interesting thread again.....it may be similar to ones that have
been discussed, but one or two furthur questions occur to me. I have a
Montronics sytem that does comparisons by the multiply and mix process, and
I find (also common to more modern Kethly systems) that the limitation is
around a part in 10^10 where the noise on the phase output makes it not
really usable (without a lot of averaging) being around or in excess of 90
degreees even with a couple of very good OXCOs. How does the 10G comparision
avoid this problem with standard multipliers? I doubt you can go all that
way with low-noise multipliers and have any useful signal left, or have I
missed something. At present I use a phase meter (lock in amps can be quite
good) at the MHz range and datalog the phase drift for several hours. I have
determined that setting "on the nose" is not necessary (for my
applications). It is more useful to know how far a source is "off".
How does the mix down compare with the seemingly more popular "mix down and
timestamp" I understand from previous threads that this has more potential
but might it also be as good even using simpler circuits that the NIST
system.

Thanks for all your efforts inthe background John..... great reading
material !

Alan G3NYK