[time-nuts] Fine delay generator

pablo alvarez pabloalvarezsanchez at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 18:27:09 UTC 2008

Thanks Tim and Bruce for your info! It is precious.

By the way you will have all the schematics and sources will be on the
web. I will keep you informed.

> 1) The HP5359A (and the 5370A/B) used a phase locked startable oscillator.
> The classic gated oscillator uses a delay line to determine the
> oscillator frequency.
> These are commercially available or you can build your own using an
> inverting gate and a length of coax or other delay line for higher
> performance.

Perhaps the MC100EP196B could be useful an oscillator here. I could
set a total delay of 10ns and try use the analog control input to tune
the period. The phase could be measured with an extra TIM.

> 2) The ACAM TDC-GPX has linearity errors much larger than 10ps for short
> time intervals (< 120ns).
> However if the time interval can be guaranteed to exceed some minimum
> (120ns) an integral non linearity of around 10ps is possible.
> For longer time intervals the measurement jitter will be significant at
> the 10ps level.
> The ACAM TDC-GPX has an internal delay locked loop option that allows
> the internal delay step size to be locked to an external reference
> frequency.
>
> Another delay technique is to use a tapped chain of gates in an FPGA can
> be used to implement a fine delay.
> A DLL can be used to stabilise the delays.

I have thought many times of implementing such a tapped delay line but
always left it for another moment. It is just a bit anoying that ones
has to fix the placement of the taps. On the other hand one could just
let the router place your design and use later statistical code
coverage to calibrate the design at startup.  It may be interesting
replicating the tapped delay lines. The resulting scale would be the
intersection of the original codes.

> Another option is to use a pair of ADCs to simultaneously sample a
> quadrature pair of 10MHz sinewaves.
> Together with a dual phase synchroniser to sample a counter clocked at
> 10MHz, a resolution on the order of 10ps or so is possible with a range
> limited by the counter length.
> An LTC1407A-1 dual simultaneous sampling ADC allows sample rates up to
> 1.5MHz with adequate linearity if driven differentially.
> However an inverse tangent calculation is required for each measurement
> - this could easily be done in an FPGA within a few tens of nanosec.

I have seen the paper you are refering to in your site. This method is
not as easy as it seems at the end. You need to generate a perfect
200MHz sine and cosine. You need to monitor its amplitude and to
obtain the maximum performance you need to have a good picture of the
nonlinarities of both sine and cosine. Finally the  LTC1407A-1 latency
is similar to that of the  AD9626.

> To avoid using a fine delay with a large range using a higher frequency
> (eg 40MHz or higher) local clock phase locked to 10MHz will reduce the
> required fine delay range significantly.

Certainly, I will try use a clock as fast as possible.

> Surely it would be better to sampled the low pass filtered latched
> trigger transition with a pipeline ADC clocked at 100MHz or more.
> The threshold crossing time of the ADC input can then be calculated from
> the ADC samples (using WSK interpolation etc) provided there are
> sufficient samples taken during the transition.

Thanks for suggesting the AD9446  and the WSK interpolation. I had
thought of  keeping a normalized waveform of the pulse rising edge
stored in a RAM. By normalized I mean doing the starting points equal
to -.5 and the final points equal to 0.5. I can try to autogenerate
this waveform using a fine delay line and later use statistical code
coverage to do a fine calibration.
By the way I do not understand very well how do you use WSK
interpolation. Normally you use it to find the amplitude level between
two samples, but here we are trying to solve the inverse problem. We
need to know at which moment the signal passed over a given threshold.
How do you solve it?

Pablo