[time-nuts] Z3801 outer oven temp?

Richard H McCorkle mccorkle at ptialaska.net
Thu Nov 13 21:26:47 UTC 2008

Hi Dick,

Back in 2004 Stefan Hegnauer reverse engineered the outer oven controller
in the Z3801A and posted the schematics and a PSPICE simulation. Apparently
they are no longer on the web, but his conclusion was:

"The outer oven of the Z3801A GPS disciplined crystal oscillator is used
to keep the ambient of the inner oven of the oscillator (HP10811) at a
roughly constant temperature of somewhere between +60...+65 °C. The exact
value is not known to me. Because the Z3801A is specified from 0...+50 °C,
and the HP10811 is specified for ambient temperatures of not more than
+71 °C,  I think this makes sense."

Hope this helps,

Richard