[time-nuts] Oh the horror

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Nov 16 23:01:23 UTC 2008

jim77742 at gmail.com said:
> It looks like the entire shipping case has been dropped or turned over
> from a reasonable height. The 7mm thick internal glass cylinder has
> been shattered and inside that the glass bulb has been smashed to
> bits.

> The whole unit is completely destroyed and useless.

Sigh.  It hurts even from many thousand miles away...

> My girlfriend just doesn't understand...

There must be some way to explain it.  Does she have a garden?  How about a
cloth collection?

How would she feel if a herd of elephants danced on her garden?  Or a bucket
of tar got poured over her best box of cloth?

----------

Many years ago, we were writing some software for Pacific Telephone.  I got
to BS with one of their old timers.  He told a tale that is roughly...

Pacific Telephone used a lot of IBM 7040s.  IBM was getting out of that
business.  The last one off the refurbishing line was air freighted out to
California.  That was Friday afternoon.  Monday morning they were going to
start tearing down the line.

After the plane arrived in California, the CPU got dropped between the
airplane and the truck.  The frame was bent about 15 degrees.

Somebody made a quick phone call.  The refurbishing line stayed open long
enough to process that machine again.    It worked fine.