[time-nuts] Oh the horror

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Thu Nov 20 04:29:06 UTC 2008

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:01:23 -0800, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>
wrote:

>jim77742 at gmail.com said:
>> It looks like the entire shipping case has been dropped or turned over
>> from a reasonable height. The 7mm thick internal glass cylinder has
>> been shattered and inside that the glass bulb has been smashed to
>> bits.
>
>> The whole unit is completely destroyed and useless.
>
>Sigh.  It hurts even from many thousand miles away...
>
>> My girlfriend just doesn't understand...
>
>There must be some way to explain it.  Does she have a garden?  How about a
>cloth collection?

First off, I feel yer pain.  Second, there may be a problem in the
specification for the standard issue girlfriend.  One very important
specification for any time-nut-destined Mk1 girlfriend is the ability to feel
blue smoke and released vacuum pain.

My lovely ex of 27 years (and after a 5 year fling, maybe to be current again)
certainly conformed perfectly to that specification.  Of course, she worked
with both hot and cold glass so she had pain to feel too.  LIke lifting a
piece out of the annealing oven, now at room temperature, laying it on the
counter to prepare it for shipping and hearing that characteristic little
"tink" of a stress crack.  I'm reasonably sure that she created a hostile work
environment in our shared shop more than once due to the sound pressure level.

When the aroma of blue smoke wafted through the air, I'd usually get company
for some commiseration, a good back rub and sometimes other condolences.  A
properly spec'ced wife-mate is worth more than even a hydrogen maser.

IMO of course.

John
--
John De Armond