[time-nuts] To improve a Tbolt?

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Thu Nov 20 17:57:48 UTC 2008

I have been reading with interest John Miles' page about his Tbolt
'upgrade'.

http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/tbolt.htm

I have a newly acquired Tbolt here, and also have lying around an almost
identical 10811-60111 OCXO which I am considering using with it, exactly
as John describes.  However my Tbolt is of a later vintage than John's
(2005 date code) and I wonder if that would show as big an improvement
as John reports.  The on board OCXO on this one has a Trimble sticker on
it, but otherwise looks similar to the one pictured on John's page.  The
GPS receiver area of my board also looks very different, but I don't
think this would have any effect.

Not having the sort of phase noise measuring facilities here to be able
to test it, I am wondering if anyone else has done this with a similar
vintage Tbolt, and could say if it is likely to show as big an
improvement as John seems to be getting.

I was a little surprised at the amount of short term variation, of the
order of minutes duration, that I was seeing on another Tbolt when using
it to set a Rb standard.

The obvious answer to my question is to try it and see, but I'd
appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried it!

Dan