[time-nuts] WWV / WWVH / WWVB

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Nov 20 18:55:24 UTC 2008

Brad Stockdale wrote:
[ ... ]
>     Anyway, on to the reason for this post... I'd like to get some
> receivers so I can HEAR and USE the WWVB, WWV, and WWVH signals... I
> know that HEARING them may not be a 'normal' request, but I just
> would like to monitor the audio as well as being able to decode the signals...
broadcast ranges.

[ ... ]
>     Can anyone suggest a kit, or project listed online with
> schematics and parts lists, or I guess even reasonably priced commercial units?
>
>     If I can't get radios that have built in decoders for these
> stations, I'd be happy just receiving their audio and then trying to
> build my own decoder using a PIC or something...

If you don't mind a big, heavy box, the HP 3586[A,B,C] selective
voltmeters are absolutely wonderful tools for any sort of LF/HF
measurement.  They tune from 20 Hz to 32 MHz and have narrow 20 and 400
Hz filter bandwidths, as well as a voice-bandwidth filter (the width
depends on the model and option).  They read amplitude to 0.01 dB and
can count a received carrier to 0.1 Hz frequency resolution.

They have a speaker and line-level audio output, but no decoder.  They
also have a GPIB connector, so you can use a computer to tune and read
frequency and amplitude.

The "C" model is the best for lab use, because it has 50/75/600 ohm
input options, and uses standard BNC and binding post input connectors.
  The A and B models were designed for telco use and have slightly weird
input impedances and connectors, but nothing to stop them from still
being very useful.

They sometimes go on eBay for <$200, which is a steal in my book.  They
weigh about 50 pounds, though, so aren't exactly portable.

John